A highly skilled Ophthalmologist. Dr. Angelo Tsirbas is a member of The American Society of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Australian and New Zealand Society of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Society, The Australasian Association of Facial Plastic Surgery, The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists. He has received international recognition by his peers for his innovative surgical techniques. Dr. Tsirbas is sought after by patients from around the world for help in correcting some of the most challenging complicated cases. His work focuses on obtaining the finest and most natural results for blepharoplasty and brow-lift surgery. The demand for his expertise in functional, reconstruction, revision and cosmetic surgery pertaining to the eyes and orbitofacial region, has also found him consulting all across Australia.
Dr. Angelo Tsirbas graduated from Flinders University of Adelaide, South Australia, with a MBBS with Honors and was awarded the prestigious University Medal. He trained in General Surgery in Adelaide and then completed his ophthalmic training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne.
He was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to Columbia University & the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. He continued his research and training and completed another fellowship on Orbitofacial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at UCLA in California.
Dr. Tsirbas was then appointed to the faculty of the Orbital and Oculofacial surgical department at the Jules Stein Eye Institute in Los Angeles. He specialised in complex orbital and oculoplastic reconstruction as well as advanced techniques in minimally invasive facial rejuvenation. The Aesthetic practice was based in Beverly Hills.
Dr. Angelo Tsirbas has written and published an extensive list of medical literature including over 50 research papers and book chapters. He also regularly presents talks on many of these subjects in medical conferences around the world. He is also a reviewer for the American Journal of Ophthalmology, Journal of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the British journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Angelo Tsirbas is involved in several current research projects. These entail both basic science and clinical applications of various emerging technologies. He was the first surgeon in the world to explore the feasibility of the Da vInci Surgical robot in eye surgery.
Dr. Angelo Tsirbas is an Australian leading Oculoplastic surgeon specialising in aesthetic surgery and minimally invasive eye rejuvenation. With over 20 years experience in cosmetic and functional surgery, Dr. Tsirbas remains a pioneer and world leader in his field.
Dr. Tsirbas has written and published an extensive list of medical literature including over 50 research papers and book chapters. He is also frequently invited to present talks on many of these subjects and perform live surgeries at medical conferences around the world. He is also a reviewer for the American Journal of Opthalmology, Journal of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the British Journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Tsirbas has been a keynote speaker for the British Oculofacial Society, Australasian Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons, American Ophthalmological Society, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery and the Fyodorov Eye Institute in Moscow.
Dr Tsirbas was honoured to be invited to present the Robert Axelrod Memorial Lecture for the Aesthetic Eyelid & Facial Rejuvenation Course 2017 at UCLA in July. The highly regarded Axelrod Lecture has been presented by a different individual each year since 1997, and has created a “Hall of Fame” for itself. Dr. Tsirbas organises a Triennial Symposium Blepharoplasty meeting that is internationally renowned.
The symposium features hundreds of leading experts from around the world gathering within Sydney to share exciting advances and innovations in this highly specialised surgical field. International Keynote Speakers have included many world famous Oculoplastic, Plastic and Facial Plastic surgeons. The meetings include plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, reconstructive surgeons, and dermatologists. Head to www.bleph.com.au for further information on previous and updates on future symposiums.
1. Tsirbas A, McNab AA. “Secondary haemorrhage after dacryocystorhinostomy.” Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2000 Feb; 28(1):22-5.
2. Tsirbas A, Wormald PJ. “Endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy with mucosal flaps.” Am J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jan; 135(1):76-83.
3. Tsirbas A, Wormald PJ. “Mechanical endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy with mucosal flaps.” Br J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jan; 87(1):43-7.
4. Tsirbas A, Davis G, Wormald PJ. “Mechanical Endonasal Dacryocystor hinostomyversus External Dacryocystorhinostomy”.
5. Ophthal.Plast.Reconstr. Surg.2004 Jan; (1):50-56.Tsirbas A, Wormald P. “Agger nasi cell mucosal autograft for lacrimal sac reconstruction during endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy.”
6. Orbit. 2004 Jun; 23(2):105-10. Orbit. 2004 Jun; 23(2):105-10.Wormald PJ, Tsirbas A. “Investigation and endoscopic treatment for functional and anatomical obstruction of the nasolacrimal duct system.”
7. Tsirbas A, Kazim M. “Endoscopic approach to orbital apex lesions” Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Jul;21(4):271-5.
8. Kim BJ, Tsirbas A. “Advances in Upper lacrimal system Surgery”. Comprehensive Ophthalmology. October 2005.Vol 10.1-5.
9. Tsirbas A, Wormald P. “Revision dacryocystorhinostomy: a comparison of endoscopic and external techniques.” Am J Rhinol. 2005
10. May Jun;19(3):322-5.Lee.S, Tsirbas A, McCann JD, Goldberg RG “Aesthetic Vocabulary for SNOWMED Oculoplastics (Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery, June 2006).
11. Lee.S, Tsirbas A, McCann JD, Goldberg RG. Mikulicz’s disease: a new perspective and literature review. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2006
12. Mar-Apr;16(2):199-203. Review. Tsirbas A, Mango C, Dutson E. “Robotic ocular surgery.” British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2007 Jan; 91 (1): 18-21.
13. Leibovitch I, Selva D, Tsirbas A, et al. “Paediatric endoscopic endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy in congenital nasolacrimal ductobstruction.” Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2006 Mar 15
14. Kim B, Lee J, Tsirbas A, Kazim M. Thyroid associated orbitopathy following periocular surgery. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jun;20(2):82-6.
15. Lee S, Tsirbas A, Goldberg R, McCann J. Standardized terminology for aesthetic ophthalmic plastic surgery. Ophthal Plast ReconstrSurg. 2006 Sep-Oct;22(5):371-4.
16. Tsirbas A & Wormald PJ. Mechanical endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy with mucosal flaps. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2006Oct;39(5):1019-36, viii. Review.
17. Bhatnagar A, Tsirbas A, Douglas RS, et al. Graves Orbitopathy. Ophthalmology. 2007 Feb; 114(2):392.
18. Ahmad S, Tsirbas A, Kazim M. Inflammatory Myofibroblastic tumour of the orbit in a 7-year old child. Clin. And Exp. Ophthalmol.2007; 35(2), 160-162.
19. Goldberg RA, Lee S, Jayasundera T, Tsirbas A, Douglas RS, McCann JD. Treatment of Lower Eyelid Retraction by Expansion of the Lower Eyelid With Hyaluronic Acid Gel.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 September/October;23(5):343-348.
20. Lee S, Tsirbas A, Goldberg RA, McCann JD. Thiazolidinedione induced thyroid associated orbitopathy. BMC Ophthalmol. 2007 Apr26;7:8.
21. Tsirbas.A, Mango.C, Dutson. E. Three Dimensional robotic surgery Useful in Ocular Microsurgery. Ophthalmology Times;May;2007.
22. Vagefi MR, McMullan TF, Isaacs DK, Tsirbas A .et al. Autologous dermis graft at the time of evisceration or enucleation. Br. J.Ophthalmol.2007 Nov;91(11):1528-31.
23. Goldberg.RA, Samimi, Tsirbas A, Douglas RS.rience. The hydrogel lacrimal stent for dacryocystorhinostomy: preliminary expe Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Mar-Apr;24(2):85-89.
24. Bourla DH, Hubschman JP Culjat M, Tsirbas A, et. Al. Feasibility study of intraocular robotic surgery with the da Vinci surgical system. Retina. 2008 Jan;28(1):154-8.
25. Tsirbas A, Kim CJ, Schwartz SD. Eye. 2009 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]. Use of hyaluronic Acid gel in the management of paralytic lagophthalmos:
26. The hyaluronic Acid gel “gold weight”. Mancini R, Taban M,Lowinger A, Nakra T, Tsirbas A, Douglas RS, Shorr N, Goldberg RA. Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;25(1):23-6.
27. Reactivation of thyroid-associated orbitopathy after cataract surgery. Shadpour JM, Menghani RM, Douglas RS, Goldberg RA, TsirbasA. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2009 Jan; 53(1):44-6. Epub 2009 Jan 30.
28. Biologic therapeutics in thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy: translating disease mechanism into therapy. Naik V, Khadavi N, Naik MN, Hwang C, Goldberg RA, Tsirbas A, Smith TJ, Douglas RS. Thyroid. 2008 Sep;18(9):967-71.
29. Review Rare dural arteriovenous fistula of the lesser sphenoid wing sinus. Khadavi NM, Mancini R, Nakra T, Tsirbas A, Douglas RS, GoldbergRA, Duckwiler GR. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Sep-Oct; 25(5):404-6.
30. Development of criteria for evaluating clinical response in thyroid eye disease using a modified Delphi technique. Douglas RS, Tsirbas A, Gordon M, Lee D, Khadavi N, Garneau HC, Goldberg RA, Cahill K, Dolman PJ, Elner V, Feldon S, Lucarelli M, Uddin J,Kazim M, Smith TJ, Khanna D; International Thyroid Eye Disease Society. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;127(9):1155-60.
31. Canalicular intubation in routine dacryocystorhinostomy. Tsirbas A, Madge SN, Selva D; ANZSOPS DCR Intubation Study Group.Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2009 Jul;37(5):533-4. No abstract available.
32. Nonsurgical management of congenital eyelid malpositions using hyaluronic Acid gel. Taban M, Mancini R, Nakra T, Velez FG, Ela-Dalman N,Tsirbas A, Douglas RS, Goldberg RA. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul-Aug;25(4):259-63.
33. Retinal robotic surgery, 2009. Irena Tsui, Angelo Tsirbas, Charles W. Mango, Steven D. Schwartz and Jean-Pierre Hubschman (2010). Robotic Surgery in Ophthalmology, Robot Surgery, Seung Hyuk Baik (Ed.).
34. Oculofacial contour asymmetries: Management of combined treatment with hyalurostructure and botulinum toxin injections.Berros P, Tsirbas A, Garcia P, Farhi D, Bétis F, Galatoire O. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2012 Apr;14(2):111-6. doi: 10.3109/14764172.2012.655286. Epub 2012 Feb 28
35. Endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy in acute dacryocystitis: a multicenter case series.Madge SN, Chan W, Malhotra R, Ghabrial R, Floreani S, Wormald PJ, Tsirbas A, Selva D. Endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy: a modified technique with preservation of the nasal and lacrimal mucosa.
36. Association of Polymorphisms in MACRO Domain Containing 2 With Thyroid-Associated Orbitopathy. Khong JJ, Burdon KP, Lu Y, Leonardos L, Laurie KJ, Walsh JP, Gajdatsy AD, Ebeling PR, McNab AA, Hardy TG, Stawell RJ, Davis GJ, Selva D, Tsirbas A, Montgomery GW, Macgregor S, Craig JE. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Jun 1;57(7):3129-37. doi: 10.1167/iovs.15-18797.
37. Rituximab for the treatment of IgG4-related orbital disease: experience from five cases. Wu A, Andrew NH, Tsirbas A, Tan P, Gajdatsy A, Selva D. Eye (Lond). 2015 Jan;29(1):122-8. doi: 10.1038/eye.2014.251. Epub 2014 Oct 24.
38. Bilateral lacrimal gland disease: clinical features of 97 cases. Tang SX, Lim RP, Al-Dahmash S, Blaydon SM, Cho RI, Choe CH, Connor MA, Durairaj VD, Eckstein LA, Hayek B, Langer PD, Lelli GJ, Mancini R, Rabinovich A, Servat J, Shore JW, Sokol JA, Tsirbas A, Wladis EJ, Wu AY, Shields JA, Shields C, Shinder R. Ophthalmology. 2014 Oct;121(10):2040-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2014.04.018. Epub 2014 Jun 3vv4
39. Subbrow Blepharoplasty in Caucasians.
Eid L, Tsirbas A.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Mar 1;147(3):604-607. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000007633.PMID: 33620928
40. Closed Posterior Levator Advancement in Severe Ptosis.
Oh LJ, Wong E, Bae S, Tsirbas A.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 May 15;6(5):e1781. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000001781. eCollection 2018 May.PMID: 29922563 Free PMC article.
41. Comparing the outcomes of severe versus mild/moderate ptosis using closed posterior levator advancement.
Oh LJ, Wong E, Bae S, Tsirbas A.Orbit. 2019 Feb;38(1):24-29. doi: 10.1080/01676830.2018.1477805. Epub 2018 May 29.PMID: 29842810
“Mechanical Endonasal Dacyrocystorhinostomy” Endoscopic Orbital and Lacrimal Surgery by JJ Woog, Published Nov. 2003
“Powered Instrumentation dacryocystorhinostomy” Surgery of the Lacrimal System by B. Brazzo, A. Cohen, M. Mercandetti, Spring Publications (in press) 2005
“Mechanical endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy with mucosal flap” Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2006 Oct;39(5):1019- 36, viii.
“Ocular Robotic Surgery” “Telesurgery”, edited by Marescaux and Kumar. Springer 2007. Mechanical Endoscopic DCR with Mucosal Flaps” Operative Techniques of Otolaryngology issue 2008. “Endoscopic Approach to Orbital Apex Lesions” Operative Techniques of Otolaryngology issue 2008.